Friday, August 29, 2008

The Importance of Technology

Wow, what an exciting and yet overwhelming week!!! I was very pleasantly surprised by a visit from my mom and step dad last weekend! I had no idea they were driving all the way from Indiana to Missouri! It was really wonderful to see them. I haven't really seen my mom for almost a year now. God is so good because I really needed that before the start of school and work.

I started a face to face class this past Monday with Dan Sample. It's called Teaching in the 21st century. I've only had one class and am amazed by how much this class has helped me already! If you haven't watched The Last Lecture on YouTube, I would DEFINITELY encourage you to do so. It's amazing. It really gets you thinking about what you want to accomplish in this life. I think it's really valuable for educators to really consider their mission in life. I believe that God has called me to teach. Where and when? I don't know. I do know that when God puts you on a mission it isn't necessary to know the details. He aligns everything.

So, in the class Teaching in the 21st Century, we have been exploring the importance of technology in the classroom. I've come to realize that I have really just taken technology for granted. Sure, I thought it was important that students learn the basics like how to type and use various program. However, I now see that it's really important that I instill a love for learning in my students. The only way I can do that is to have a love for learning myself. Technology is changing so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with it all. It's critical that educators learn as much as they can about technology and help their students to learn as well. We are living in a global society. Information is available via the world wide web in seconds. It's important that students learn not only how to find information, but to find factual and relevant information.

No comments: